Friday, February 11, 2011

A little help from my friends

  The group presentations we did in class taught me alot. Not only did I learn valuable information about some of the most notorious gangsters in our history but i also learned alot about planning and time management. When working in groups social loafing often occurs (people slack off and rely on the other group members to do the work for them). I will say that sometimes that kid is me but with a presentation like the one given I realize the vital need of complete and total participation from every single person to get the desired outcome that we all want, the A.
  Planning a project like this is something I am new to doing but I found very useful. In most cases I would just jump into the project whether it being a poster or a paper, but they never were their full potential. But with this planning system shown really helps keep the project on task and made it easier to know what to look for without just spitting out random information about the topic in an order that doesnt make much sense
  I also learned alot about Machine Gun Kelly. The stereotypical gangster of the 1920's to me is an Italian male who enjoys wearing pinstripe suits and lives in New York City. But to be a nortioius gangster you do not have to fit into that stereotype of commit any crimes for a matter of fact. Machine Gun Kelly was born to a rich family in Memphis Tennesse. He went to school for agriculture but dropped out to marry the love of his life and became a cab driver. He soon became a part of organized crime. He often boasted about many crimes he did not commit and in Alcatraz he was considered to be a model inmate. He got his name for the Machine Gun he carried even though he never shot anyone.
  Although whenever a student hears the word presentation, they run and hide due to the fact they are not the most fun thing to do, they really provide alot of information for the researcher. Looking up information is the best way to retain it and I felt that i honestly learned alot not just crammed and forget the next day. Projects like this let me know i can get by with a little from my friends.