When Thoreau said "that government is best which governs least", by this he meant a less overbearing government that gives the people partial power is the best way to go. I have to disagree with him on this quote. I think that countries that have a government in which only a few people call the shots is the best way to go
I feel this way because when there is a government like so, more things get done. If you look back in history those places that had a supreme ruler were extremely powerful. But today that is not the case. For example in our government our president does not have as much power to do things as we think he does and he is only in that seat of power for four maybe 8 years if lucky, so getting things done is a difficult thing to do. Although I feel that one person should be in charge I think those in power should be voted in and terms should not last til death. I think at the time Thoreau wrote this society was so fed up with kings and queens, that what people wanted was the polar opposite to be happy. But now I think with majority of people educated, things would run smoother. I mean wouldn't you take a little more time to consider who you are voting for if they were gonna have an abundance of power for quite some time?