Sunday, December 12, 2010
Dogfights
Dogfighting was a form of fighting done in airplanes. I would imagine this would be a very scary thing for the pilots at the time they used this form of combat. So many things can go wrong with airplanes even when open fire is not in the picture. A pilot must have been ready for death upon entering the plane. When shot at, the plane would catch fire and when it reached the engines, explode. Even if you didn't get killed by the shots, if your plane was badly damaged you were so high in the air that parachuting was very dangerous especially when you have an enemy firing at you. I know I would not have wanted to be a pilot then. The thought that you cannot make any mistakes in the air or you are dead. And if something goes wrong to yourself or a friend, how can anyone help? Since this was a new technology that was not very developed it was probably more dangerous than I can imagine. Dogfighting is like a leap of faith, you gotta hope you get the enemy before they get you because there is no running away, you're screwed.